Wednesday 28 January 2009

Search market share

Was recently contacted by a Yahoo sales person about advertising and ended up amazed at his lack of search engine knowledge and had to correct his facts, and vocabulary regarding search engines.

In particular he kept telling me that yahoo has the majority of the business enquiry search engine traffic regarding the local business traffic, he quoted Yahoo having 16% market share where recently I had been reading that their market share was at an all time low as shown in the figures reported last month by hitwise.

Rank Search Engine Volume
1. www.google.co.uk 76.00%
2. www.google.com 14.32%
3. uk.search.yahoo.com 2.76%
4. www.live.com 2.01%

After I directed him to these stats he said 'I can tell you for a fact that these figures are wrong' at that point i told him that his credibility was questionable.

I love people that phone businesses all day long trying to help up (telesales, by any other name) and have dealt with many regarding lots of issues but I do expect them to have some facts and integrity when dealing with 'sales leads'

No comments: